IBL News | New York
This weekend, Elon Musk this week-end announced the launch of xAI, a new organization that will work closely with Twitter, Tesla, and other companies, with the mission of “building a good AGI (artificial general intelligence) with the purpose of understanding the true nature of the universe.”
xAI will be led by Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, and veterans of DeepMind, OpenAI, Google Research, Microsoft Research, Tesla, and the University of Toronto, as shown in the picture above. The team — in the picture above — has an impressive background in AI and is advised by the director of the Center for AI Safety.
In a Twitter Space discussion, Elon Musk said that xAI is being built as competition to OpenAI.
• “The goal is to make xAI a useful tool for consumers and businesses, and there is value in having multiple entities and competition.”
• “There is a significant danger in training AI to be politically correct or training it not to say what it thinks is true, so at xAI they will let the AI say what it believes to be true, and it will result in some criticism.”
• “Tesla’s self-driving capabilities will be enhanced because of xAI.”
• “Ray Kurzweil’s prediction of AGI by 2029 is pretty accurate, give or take a year.”
• “I have seen no evidence of aliens whatsoever so far, and it’s possible that other consciousness may not exist in our galaxy.”
Great summary https://t.co/s2QE9zuzp4
— xAI (@xai) July 15, 2023
— xAI (@xai) July 14, 2023