IBL News | New York
Coursera, Inc. (NYSE: COUR) announced this month that it expanded its offering of short videos and lessons to nearly 200,000 clips addressing the growing demand for micro-learning materials.
The Mountain View, California – based company said that these instructional materials are designed to help students to learn high-demand skills in under 10 minutes. The offerings functions as scalable learning paths toward professional certificates and degree programs.
Coursera also highlighted its intent of accelerating skills development for employees through Clips.
“A growing number of employees are now looking to gain job-specific skills much faster through shorter, more targeted content; with this shift towards microlearning, Clips enables employees to learn specific skills with 5-10 min videos,” said Leah Belsky, Chief Enterprise Officer at Coursera. “It also provides clear pathways into courses for deeper skill development,” he added.
The most viewed Clips to date include a range of data, cloud, and productivity-focused content such as:
- Welcome to Python, by University of Michigan [1 min]
- Fundamentals of Data Science, by IBM [2 min]
- The Business Case for Visionary Leadership, by University of Michigan [7 min]
- Why is Storytelling Important?, by Macquarie University [9 min]
- Key Cloud Service Providers and their Services, by IBM [6 min]
- What is SQL Anyway?, by University of California, Davis [7 min]
- Customize Google Calendar, by Google [4 min]
- Taking Charge of Excel, by Macquarie University [6 min]
Some companies and government organizations like Google, the New York State Department of Labor, Alstom, and Bosch have adopted Clips for their workforce, according to Coursera.
Coursera’s skills platform allows organizations to assess, measure, and benchmark skills in their workforce. Recent platform innovations include LevelSets which help employees quickly determine their proficiency in key skills and identify areas to focus on moving forward. In addition, SkillSets help employees develop specific skills for specific roles. These Skill Sets provide the foundation for Coursera’s Leadership and Data & Analytics Academies, which offer a packaged learning experience based on the depth of skill needed for specific roles across an organization.