JANUARY 15, 2018 – NEWSLETTER #5 ON LEARNING INNOVATION
• Oracle opened its newly-built Design Tech High School Video, a free public charter school, located on company’s corporate campus in Redwood City, Calif. The school serves 550 students, described by Oracle’s CEO as “ambassadors for the future of education”.
• The New York-based Thinkful has raised $9.6M in funding to grow in-person hubs for its online coding boot camp.
• Complaining that higher-ed is producing too few graduates with skills they need, many employers are taking matters into their own hands by designing courses themselves. A good example is Microsoft and Linux Foundation, who have teamed up with edX.
• edSurge has put on a calendar the key 50 edtech conferences happening this year. However, its events page is more exhaustive.
• Coursera is shifting towards B2B. In 2017, it went from 30 to 500 companies. Each year corporations spent $150 billion spent on training.
• Revature talent development company has doubled the number of engineers trained in 2017, following its model of training college graduates and placing them as consultants with their Fortune 500 client base.
• Chip Paucek, CEO at 2U, said that we are now in the “third wave” of ed tech innovation with top-tier universities offering full courses online. With a $3bn valuation, in 2017, 2U saw its stock increased 114% and bought the course specialist GetSmarter for $103 million.
• Having a data-driven management strategy has become a necessity at higher ed. This is one of the key trends for 2018, along with immersive learning, digital course management, enterprise-wide video, mobile tech, Internet of things and learning space design.
The IBL newsletter is a topic-curated email report compiled by Michael Amigot, Founder at IBL EDUCATION, a company specialized in Open edX technology and video course production. If you enjoy what you read please consider forwarding it. Click here to subscribe.
IBL Newsletter #4 – December 2017
IBL Newsletter #3 – November 2017
IBL Newsletter #2 – October 2017
IBL Newsletter #1 – September 2017