Is the Canvas open-source LMS becoming the next dominant platform in online education?
See edutechnica’s graphic above.
- An increasing number of institutions are switching their LMS from Moodle and Sakai to Canvas LMS.
- Canvas has overtaken Desire2Learn in terms of number of enrollments.
- ⅕ of institutions that currently run Sakai seem to be willing to switch their LMS and have set up tests with either Canvas or Blackboard Learn.
- The new Unizin consortium, a potential threat to edX, is creating a new learning ecosystem that will use Canvas LMS. Through Unizin, Canvas could add Colorado State University (Blackboard), Indiana University (Sakai), Oregon State University (Blackboard), Purdue University (Blackboard), University of Florida (Sakai, with some use of Canvas), University of Michigan (Sakai) and University of Wisconsin (Desire2Learn) to its list of customers.
- Canvas Catalog, a recent white label storefront solution to create branded web portals, is expected to attract many more customers.
“Instructure Canvas is quietly building what could become one of the dominant platforms in online education, from academic to vocational and lifelong learning,” writes Edukwest.com.