IBL News | New York
edX.org, 2U’s MOOC platform, selected ten top faculty and educators on massive courses, ranging in topics from UX design to earth and environmental sciences.
They are the ten finalists for the seventh annual edX Prize for Exceptional Contributions in Online Teaching and Learning. These instructors are recognized for their innovation when delivering student-centric, impactful learning courses.
The winners are selected by members of the edX Partner Advisory Council.
- Professor Dr. Thomas Scheibel, Biomaterials and Biofabrication: Design, Engineering and Innovation, University of Bayreuth
- Professor Dirk van Gameren, Global Housing Design, Delft University of Technology
- Professor William Jack, Impact Evaluation Methods with Applications in Low- and Middle-Income Countries, Georgetown University
- Associate Professor Constantinos Coursaris, Associate Professor Camille Grange, Pierre-Majorique Léger, Dr. Annemarie Lesage, and Professor Sylvain Sénécal, UX Design and Evaluation, HEC Montréal
- Professor Aren M. Maeir, Biblical Archaeology: The Archaeology of Ancient Israel and Judah, IsraelX – Bar-lian University
- Dr. Reiner Hutwelker, Professor Dr. Holly Ott, and Professor Dr. Martin Grunow, Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification, Technical University of Munich
- Associate Professor Dr. Peter Westley, Salmon, People, and Place, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Dr. Darren Gravley, Dr. Sam Hampton, and Dr. Kate Pedley, Foundational Field Skills for Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Canterbury
- Dr. Ian Yu-Hong Wong, Professor Stephen Wing-Keung Cheng, and Professor Kent-Man Chu, So You Want To Be A Surgeon?, University of Hong Kong
- Dr. Peter Crosthwaite, Academic English, The University of Queensland
The winner of this year’s award will be announced by edX/2U in early 2023.
Last year, University of Canterbury professors Ben Kennedy and Dr. Jonathan Davidson were the winners of the 2021 edX Prize for their course Exploring Volcanoes and Their Hazards: Iceland and New Zealand. They designed the course to deliver an immersive and fun virtual science experience focused on volcanic landscapes.
Anant Agarwal, edX Founder and Chief Platform Officer at 2U, said, “from Alaska to Hong Kong, our 2022 edX prize finalists represent vastly different institutions and disciplines but are united in their commitment to broadening the horizon of society’s knowledge and understanding with free and open courses.”